Guide to Family History Resources at the Minnesota Historical Society
- More Info
- By: Minnesota Historical Society Reference Staff
- Format: Paper, 120 pp., 6 x 9, 20 b&w photos
- Publisher: MHS Press (December 2003)
- Usually ships in: 1- 3 business days
- Product ##: 9780873514699
An indispensable and practical guide to the many genealogical resources at the Minnesota Historical Society, the state's premier archive of public and private records.
The Minnesota Historical Society has one of the richest collections of family and local history in the nation and is a valuable resource for the family historian. But that wealth of resources can also be overwhelming for the first-time visitor. This new work, compiled by the experienced and talented staff of the Society’s Library and Collections Department, offers an expert guide to accessing the Society’s myriad holdings and resources.
A Guide to Family History Resources at the Minnesota Historical Society is an essential tool for all genealogists researching Minnesota family, local, and state history. Highlighting the many holdings of the society, this unique handbook features a lengthy, annotated listing of resources in subject areas such as:
• biographical, census, naturalization, cemetery, school, religious, business, court, government, legal, military, and veterans’ records.
• official statewide death records and index, 1908–96.
• photographs, personal papers, oral histories, ethnic resources, and local and county histories.
• family histories, newspapers, directories, passenger ship lists, and publications of genealogical organizations.
• maps, atlases, and other geographical resources.
This book is an indispensable guide to a personal journey into the past for both beginning and experienced researchers who have discovered the value and pleasure of genealogy. Other researchers will also find in it a wealth of sources for topics of the new social history—studies of gender, families, ethnic groups, the urban and rural pasts, labor, material culture, and everyday life.
Based on their many years of assisting researchers, the Society’s reference staff has collaborated to produce a unique guide to the immense resources available in the Society’s collections at the Minnesota History Center.
This book replaces the previously published Genealogical Resources of the Minnesota Historical Society (ISBN 0-87351-240-5)
Our Price: $14.95