Court Case Search Request
- More Info
- Usually ships in: Up to 30 business days
Staff will search for one case file in the Minnesota State Supreme/Appellate Court, County District Court or County Probate Court per request. Please provide as much information as possible about the case file in question to help make the search successful. If a case file number is known, please supply that information. Please read the More Information tab.
Basic case file request: (must provide exact citation to case file, including county, court and file number)
- Minnesota residents: $30
- Non-Minnesota residents: $40
In-depth Case File Request: (case file number is unknown)
- Minnesota residents: $50
- Non-Minnesota residents: $60
Members receive a 10% discount, which is applied during Checkout.
Guide to Providing Information For Your Request
- Year: year of the court case
- File number: for Basic Case File request
- Type of court: District, Probate, Supreme, Court of Appeals
- County: for District or Probate court case files only
- Type of case: criminal or civil (divorces and adoptions are civil case files)
- Name: of defendant and/or plaintiff
*Important Note:All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
If you see the An option selection/entry is required! message, it means you did not complete all of the required fields.
More information about the Society’s court records.
The Minnesota Historical Society Library is not engaged the practice of law. Any materials purchased or otherwise provided in any way by the Library do not constitute legal opinion or legal advice. The Library assumes no liability for errors or omissions, and is not is not responsible in any manner for direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential, or punitive damages, however caused, arising out of the use of materials requested.
- Adoption files in the state of Minnesota are sealed for 100 years from the date of the adoption and cannot be opened early without a court order. A court form can be printed, completed and sent to the appropriate county District court to request to have access to a sealed or confidential file.
- The majority of the county District Court civil and criminal case files usually date from the first year of the county’s establishment until approximately 1950; the ending dates for each county will vary. Holdings at the Minnesota Historical Society can be found in the library’s online catalog. Search by the name of the county plus the terms “district court” (e.g. Dakota County district Court).
- The Minnesota Historical Society holds only microfilm of probate case files for 20% of the counties of Minnesota. Probate case files not available at the Society should be available at the respective county. Holdings at the Minnesota Historical Society can be found in the Library’s online catalog . Search by the name of the county plus the terms “probate court” (e.g. Todd County probate court).
- Contact information for Minnesota county District Courts
Researchers who visit the Library may request case files, flag documents within a file and request individual copies of these documents at a cost of .25 cents per page. This option is not available to off-site researchers.
Naturalization records are court documents pertaining to an immigrant applying for citizenship, but they are not case files. Request naturalization records