Death and Birth Records, Early (pre-1904)
For this research service, Library Staff will search for the birth or death record of one person, in a specified year and location.
About This Research Service:
Library staff will search for one birth or death record from 1904 or earlier in the following sources (see examples in our Vital Records Research Guide):
- County Birth and Death Records (see example)
- Local Birth and Death Records from a specific city, town, or township (see example)
- Minnesota State Death Record Cards, available for 1900 to 1904 only (see example)
Pre-1900 vital records were the responsibility of counties and municipalities, rather than being a state duty. These original records are usually in the form of a ledger, and are organized by the creating entities, often the township/city, but some are county-wide. Unlike more modern birth and death certificates, ledgers contain minimal information, and are not considered official documents. See examples of a county-wide death register and/or
Your search will be customized by staff based on the information you provide, in order to maximize the potential for locating records. If you are unsure of how to best place your order, please contact the Gale Family Library for assistance.
Records are not available for all MN counties and townships. If we do not have the records covering the location/date you specify, we will cancel and refund your order, as well as provide information on contacting the appropriate government office.
For More Information:
- Vital Records: Marriage, Birth, & Death Research Guide
- MN People Records Search: includes Death Certificates from 1904-2001 and Birth Records from 1900-1934